Supporting The Community
The foundation of the Houston Black Restaurant Week model is supporting the local community with their culinary endeavors. This spring we are partnering with Blue Triangle to assist in renovating their community commercial kitchen.Donate Today
Blue Triangle Legacy
Blue Triangle (formally the first branch of Houston’s YWCA), was founded during World War I. The organization grew out of the pressing need for a central meeting place where women and girls of color could safely meet, learn and recreate. The center has a long history of providing programs and activities for children and adults, daycare, Bible Class, art, drama and dance classes for the Houston community. Leisure learning and social activities made Blue Triangle “the social spot” for Houston’s people of color. Breakfast With Santa, and Reunion Dinners were just a few of the center’s annual events. The location was certified-Texas Registered Historical Site in May 2002, and continues its legacy to thrive as a valuable asset to the Third Ward Community.
Blue Triangle Community Programs
Blue Triangle hosts a variety of community programs including:
- Youth After School Program
- Summer Day Camp
- Adult programs
- Swim Program (Children & Adult)
- Social and Garden Clubs
BLUE TRIANGLE COMMUNITY COMMERCIAL KITCHEN
The foundation of the Houston Black Restaurant Week model is supporting the local community with their culinary endeavors. This fall we are partnering with Blue Triangle to assist in renovating their community commercial kitchen.
The renovation of the Blue Triangle Commercial Kitchen will provide the following benefits:
- Allow Small Catering Businesses and Executive Chefs the ability to rent out the kitchen to prepare meals.
- Allow Churches and Families the ability to rent out the kitchen to prepare large meals for events such as special luncheons, weddings, funerals, family reunions.
- Support Blue Triangle’s signature holiday event, Breakfast with Santa which low income children receive gifts and breakfast during the holiday season.
- Support initiative to feed homeless families in the local community.
Houston Black Restaurant Week is partnering with Blue Triangle Association to raise money for the following kitchen improvements:
- Purchase Three Door Refrigerator
- Purchase Deep Freezer
- Installation of additional electrical outlets
- Finance Kitchen Quarterly Maintenance Fees
- Purchase Small Kitchen Appliances and Utensils